Friday, September 5, 2008

Junk Drawer

This is the second postcard to arrive to our home today from the postcard swap. It is a dear postcard. When I pulled it out of the mail box I was reminded of my Grandmother B. There is something in the colors of the flowers and the textured feel of the vintage-ness of the card that pulled my memory back to the house and the woman I visited so much in my youth. Grandma B had a special junk drawer located in the buffet in her dining room. The humidity of the house often caused the wood to swell and you sometimes had to really tug to get it open to reveal its treasures inside---beautiful odds and ends gathered over a long life. I would take things out---like old holiday cards, ink pens with the logo from the gas station they owned decades before my birth, numerous colorful rubber bands, three-way folding fans from church, old enveloped with lists and once important information scratched all over, and post cards from here and there. I always put everything back in its place. I feel as if this postcard would have been at home in that special junk drawer that occupied my young hours and imagination. Note: I do believe my siblings and I have all inherited our own version of such junk drawers. I look forward to the day of having another generation sift through the ephemera of my life located in my junk drawer...

1 comment:

Mason Dixie said...

Wow, that brought a tear to my eyes. I also loved to go through that junk drawer, so many cool things. And yes I have acquired a junk drawer of my own, with things in it that is always a surprise when I open it.