Friday, August 22, 2008

For The Love of Duckie

Last night was a "let's stay up and watch a cheesy John Hughes eighties movie" night. We were up until four in the morning with Some Kind of Wonderful. Prior to last night I have always had a love/hate relationship with Pretty in Pink. I am a big supporter of Duckie (meaning I would have pursued him in my teendom days...so cute, sarcastic, and loyal...). So by the end of the movie I am at an emotional loss because her prom dress makes me nauseous and she chooses the tweed over Duckie. Last night was my initial introduction to Some Kind of Wonderful. Somehow it has been off my radar over the years. And I think it has eclipsed dear Pretty Pink as 80's teen love-angst genres go (Note: Breakfast Club is the supreme. Period). There is some real feminism sprinkled deliciously through out the movie. And my girl Watts... I would have been her best friend if I were cool enough back in the day. Long rock the Duckies and Watts of this world.

1 comment:

Kindred Spirits Photography said...

I totally agree with you about Pretty in Pink. I could never understand why she couldn't see how lucky she was to have duckie!!! I however happened to love her prom dress. I wish I would have had the nerve to wear something like that to my prom! I also dig her friend from the record store, and her apartment!!! I would have done anything to have her apartment.
I am not sure if I have watched the other movie or not. If I did, I don't have any memory of it. Maybe I will have to get it and watch it.
I too absolutely loved The Breakfast Club. I related best to "the basket case". I also loved Sixteen Candles! My favorite part...When her grandmother arrives and talks about her "boobies" and then feels her up! My grandmother would totally have talked like that!